Friday, June 10, 2005

Taking Care of the Temple

As of today, I think I've had all of the physical check-ups required of a woman my age. I started at the dentist in April and ended with a physical today. I have test results pending, or course, but to date I don't have any cavities and my mammogram was normal.

I saw the P.A. today instead of the doctor, but the doc sees me all the time with the kids, etc. Kelly, the P.A. was very knowledgeable and helpful. She said that I probably have a B12 deficiency, especially since I nursed the baby for over 13 months. She said that nursing takes a lot out of you even though she was weaned 8 months ago. It doesn't help that I don't eat very well, either. I'm also having my thyroid checked. Things might really be looking up.

I have been taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor since I weaned the baby and P.A. Kelly suggested a different medication, a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. I'm doing okay on the SSRI, but I am hopeful to do better with this change. I just want to be the best I can be for the life God has given to me.

I've been trying so hard to get all of the suggested components of exercise into my life, but I always fall short. It's not that my workout would take that long, it's just figuring out a time when I have energy and the kids are asleep. If I wake up early, they hear me and wake up too! I'm too tired at night or else I've worked until 10:00 p.m. My husband isn't much help in taking care of the kids so I can work out at a reasonable time, so that is also frustrating. I think I'm going to combine my flexibility and strength training and try Pilates for a while. For cardio, I use stroller walks and bike rides with my kids. If I could just ignore the messes around the house and just "do it". (Dear husband doesn't clean up after anyone, including himself, either).

On the nutrition side, I greatly reduced my intake of sugar and artificial sweeteners at the beginning of April. They were triggering me to binge and since I becamse "sugar free", I haven't binged! I allowed myself a couple treats this week, however, with that one exception, I have all but eliminated sweeteners from my diet. I am back on track and it will have to be another very special occassion before I have another treat. Yes, I do eat a little fruit, and occassionaly a diet pop, but give me a break. I used to have a 32 oz. Coke at least once or twice a day and that would lead to bingeing. I was self-medicating with the stuff and now I am so FREE! Praise God!!!!! Now that I've learned what not to put into my body, I need to figure out how to feed myself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home