Thursday, July 14, 2005

Renaissance Woman Revolts

You will undoubtedly note that my postings today are of the eclectic kind. Yes, I am a very a scattered, I mean I am a Renaissance Woman. Of course I don't do anything that well. One day, I will blow up due to my personal interest overload....

I have been reading books again. I know, a librarian that doesn't devour books??? No, but I have an extensive library of journals in the bathroom. I do read books, particularly the Good Book. I try to read a little of it everyday, plus a short Bible study. I also read when I use our elliptical. It is sometimes the only motivation I have to use the thing. While logging miles, I finished "What I Wish My Christian Friends Knew About Judaism" by Robert Schoen. It was a quick, easy lesson in Judaism, much of it I already knew somehow. I thought it might be useful as my sister-in-law is Jewish by birth and has recently begun practice the faith. (It is a good thing that my brother belongs to the same Lutheran synod-ELCA I do, as they are more welcoming to couples "unevenly yoked" than some churches are.)

I have been doing much more reading as I am doing a lot of simple knitting. I LOVE to knit and read at the same time. My concentration on both tasks improves...must be something about the rhythm. Last week I read "Bloodsworth" by Tim Junkin and today I finished, "A Church at War" by Stephen Bates. (I've been just picking books from the new book shelf where I work, so they're all kind of liberally slanted...which keeps me thinking.

So, what am I knitting? First I am knitting a bedspread for our guestroom. Currently, I am knitting as many twelve in squares I can out of Lion's Brand, "Homespun" in the Tudor color. I'm not a big fan of it, it tends to get weird as you work with it. I bought a bunch of the stuff on a whim last winter, so I'll knit it until it is gone. These squares are knitted in seed stitch and then trimed with two rows of chain stitched crochet in a dark plumb color. Next I will knit some squares using different patterns with a blue or plumb color worsted weight yarn. Finally, I plan to piece them all together and crochet a trim around the edge. It will probably be more "shabby" than "chic", but I think that is my style!

I am also working on a sweater for my big girl, who is 8. She is a fan of my alma mater, Michigan State University, so I'm knitting her a green and white "Spartan" pullover. I was anxious to get that finished so I could start a fall sweater for myself, but I just got an invitation to a baby shower. It is for my husband's cousin's stepdaughter's baby. This is the Detroit Red Wings side of the family, so I have to knit the baby my "infamous" Detroit Red Wings 'Original Six' hockey sweater. Now that there will be a NHL season, I have to hurry up and knit...there is a lady who knits at all of the Red Wings games, but I don't think my hocky hunk husband would appreciate me multitasking at the "Joe" watching the Wings. I knitted two Red Wings sweaters last year and they were both hits. At least one of them was for my baby to wear. (That's what I did during the NHL lockout!) I think the green and white "Spartan" sweater on my big girl and the Red and White "Detroit" sweater on my little girl will make for great Christmas portraits. Plus, as I said, at least these are fairly simple to knit and I can read while I work on them.

I also have some quilting projects brewing. My husband purchased several Molas from Panama's Kuna Indians on a mission trip and I'd like to create a wall hanging out of them. I also need to get started on my little girl's big bed quilt. Of course, I still have a little time...but the time from crib to bed will fly, I know.

Then, I still have some Christmas cross-stitch to finish from last year along with a sampler I started in the fall. I usually finish things before I move onto to other things, but I just feel like knitting right now. I usually do finish all of the projects I start, though. That's why I think I get more satisfaction out of needleworking than music. Music is never finished...


<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home