Thursday, July 21, 2005

More Library Politics

A while back, I was part of a library listserv. I was reading some of the archived material from when I belonged and I was really bothered by a response to a suggestion I made. Fortunately, I was on maternity leave when it was originally posted and didn't see it until today.

Someone wrote in about the funding being reduced in her library and was looking for suggestions. I put in the following $.02:

Several years ago, I was in a similar situation. One of our solutions was to eliminate the cleaning company. All five of us, MLS carrying librarians and one clerk helped clean the library in the hour before the library opened each day. We also agreed to work one hour less each week. This saved one full-time librarian her job (me) and we all kept our benefits. We also all worked circulation, reference, collection development, etc. Fortunately, we only had to do this for one year as a milleage campaign began as a result and was successful.A

As I read the responses, I see a hint of liberal bias. One said that she would collect unemployment before cleaning, as it undermined the profession (read: elitest liberal). Well, I needed professional experience and library jobs weren't a dime a dozen. I also was the sole provider of income and health insurance in my household. I had already lost two jobs just prior to the one I had. I was new in the field and I had kind colleagues willing to work together to get through the rough spots. The community also appreciated all that we did for them and supported us fiscally ever after. They have a beautiful library and much larger staff today, 14 years later.

Another comment was made as to why I felt that it was more acceptable to fire the cleaning people than a librarian. She said that it just shifted the "economic burden" to someone with less opportunities for employment than ourselves (no compassion for the professional). I don't know, but I think it is much easier to find jobs cleaning than librarian jobs. Plus, it was a cleaning company with plenty of clients. Our library was just a drop in the bucket for them and I think the cleaning people made more per hour...We also contracted them to clean again the next year when the money was restored. I'm sorry, but it is capitalism... free enterprize...

Of course, someone agreed whole heartedly with the original comments on my suggestion...and she was a union steward. I have been in no union, good unions, and bad unions. My dad was opposed to unions and my husband has been in a union his entire life. I pretty much am neutral on the union issue. However, I know in that case, if we had been in a union...I would have been out on my butt...

I'm sure not everyone will agree with my assessment of the situation, but it meant a great deal to me to be able to keep my job due to the goodwill of my colleagues. It also gave me a better appreciation of those who work so very hard to clean and maintain our libraries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home