Thursday, June 15, 2006

Donny Osmond

Composition date: June 10, 2006


It has been ten years since I “met” my hero Donny Osmond. The following is a slightly edited version of what I wrote in my journal at the time of the event:

June 11, 1996
[Former husband] took me to “meet” Donny Osmond. I really doubted that I would even get to see him, let alone get an autograph. [Former husband] insisted that I would meet Donny personally. [Former husband] was one of the only men there and is very tall. He used this to his advantage and took some snapshots of Donny signing autographs while I waited at the back of the very long line. He didn’t even stay in line and at one point I gave [former husband] the liner notes from my soundtrack to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and he went up to where Donny was and asked how long he would be able to stay. As [former husband] asked the question, Donny signed the liner notes of my cd. When [former husband] returned, I was so absolutely thrilled, I was ready to leave. [Former husband] insisted that we stay.

While in line, we spent a few minutes talking with a woman holding a photograph of her son with Donny. Her son was in the children’s chorus of Joseph with Donny last fall. [Former husband] went back up and asked Donny to personally autograph the woman's photograph to her son. Along with the woman’s autographed photo, [former husband] returned with a b&w photo of Donny as “Joseph” autographed to me. In my hands, I had much more than I ever dreamed and could have gone home a very happy woman.

We continued to wait...

When I was about to meet this man who kept me straight and inspired and sane all those years, I knew it had to be special. I just spouted out, “I’ve waited 23 years for this" and gave him a hug and he hugged me back. Just then, [former husband] called out my name and snapped the best picture I have ever had taken in my life.

I still can’t believe I had the guts to hug Donny Osmond, but I’m so glad I did. I owe a lot to him and his family and that was my thanks. [Former husband] said Donny had a big smile on his face when I hugged him and [former husband] thanked Donny for the autographs and posing for the picture.

When we took the pictures in to be developed, the woman printed a ton of copies and started calling me, “The Donny Girl".

June 10, 2006

Whenever I see that picture, which I still keep on a shelf in my home, I remember that young eight-year old girl who had tons of dreams and ideas, along with a big crush on Donny Osmond. A couple months after that day, I became pregnant with my first born daughter and her favorite lullaby was, “Puppy Love”.

I had the opportunity to see Donny Osmond performing in person three times in my life. My dad took me to a free concert at the Michigan State Fair in 1978; I saw him in Joseph and the Amazing Techincolor Dreamcoat in the fall before the picture was taken; and most recently, I saw him perform in concert at Detroit’s Fox Theatre 2001. I still buy anything he records including a song on the soundtrack to Mulan.

While it has been ten long years since that day in June, I still admire Donny Osmond. He's been through life's ups and downs, some in the public eye and yet he's retained his integrity. That’s a lot more than we can say for some of ourselves and certainly the images of popular stars today. Donny Osmond is also a wonderful singer and whether he is performing his old hits, Broadway favorites, Christmas music, or his own material, he makes me feel a hopeful connection between my childhood dreams and my future opportunities.

June 14 update: I just checked out www.donny.com and learned that Donny will play Gaston in Beauty and the Beast on Broadway this fall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

A wonderful singer and a great performer.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home