Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Refining My Views

As I've stated before, I am in a process of growth and am refining my values. Norma of "Collecting My Thoughts" posted a very articulate comment regarding the feminist movement. As usual, Norma is right on target.

My mom was one of the few moms who stayed home and outside of a few occassional violin lessons, never earned money herself once she became a mother. However, she did a lot regarding the management of the household that saved money. She also sacrificed for us...we don't have a newborn picture of me because my mom was afraid it cost too much. While we had every lesson we ever wanted, we only went on a family vacation twice. My parents once went to Toronto alone after mom had a miscarriage. I am so glad that they are able to travel a little bit now. Of course, do they take a trip to Germany, the ancestral home of both families and Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms? No, they visit my brother and his wife in Boston and family in Ohio!

The women I know that stay home or plan to stay home either worked and saved before their kids were born or earn money from home. Mary Kay, Tupperware, Avon... One of my daughter's friends mom sews and raises goats. She's not part of a cult or strange sect...that's just how she helps the family's income. My trouble is that I got it into my head that you get a degree and do a specific job using that degree. I need to change my mindset regarding myself or I'll never get anywhere.

Norma has once again helped me refine my thinking. Feminism did have an important role. However, I think it had some unintended consequenses, including some poorly raised children, clueless and lazy men, and very confused women.

Again my apologies for any poorly stated comments...I'm too tired to refine my writing right now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home