Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Mom's Menorah



I was raised in a pretty traditional Christian home. Christmas meant CHRISTmas. Sure, we had Santa and reindeer and participated in most of the usual commerical customs of Christmas, but it all centered around the birth or our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Beginning in about 1974 or 1975, Christmas Eve took on a somewhat predictable pattern. While there were exceptions, Christmas is offically celebrated at my parent's home on Christmas Eve and usually includes a family dinner, attending a church service, and exchanging gifts (Santa continues to leave gifts for the little ones to find on Christmas morning).

As our family welcomed new members, our traditions have evolved, but we still include our Christian practices throughout the season.

Some of my mother's children (my older younger brother and his family) avoid the Christian parts by finding excuses, but when you celebrate Christmas in our home, you know what you are getting into.

My little brother's bride was raised in a non-practicing, Jewish/Christian home and made her decision to practice the Jewish faith of her mother as a young adult. (I think it was a very difficult decision for her, especially since she was already in love with my practicing Christian brother at the time.)[I'm not addressing the religious/marital/family implications of this entry.]

My baby brother and sister-in-law have spent each Christmas since c.1999 with our family. Since they live in another state, this means she is saturated in CHRISTmas for over a week each year. My SIL never complains and is always willing to go to church and other religious Christmas activities with my brother and our family during her stay. I've even shared a church pew with her Christmas Eve on several occassions as she lent her voice to many sacred carols and hymns.

Last year Hannukah began at sundown on December 25. My brother shopped around a primarily Christian community and was successful in obtaining candles for a menorah, but not the menorah. So, on Christmas Eve, my two brothers spent a couple of hours in the basement fashioning a menorah out of wood so my SIL could continue her own traditions away from home. My mom said my SIL faithfully lit her candles each night.

Last Saturday I was at my mom's and she said she wanted to show me something she bought. She took me into our dining room and showed me her new purchase. (pictured above) She purchased it for my SIL because of my SIL's tolerance of our traditions and her faithfulness to her own.

I, too had been thinking about Hannukah. Is is not a story of God's faithfullness and provision? There is nothing un-Christian about it. For a Christian, many Jewish traditions make sense. As the sun sets this evening I will think on these things.

One lovely young Jewish woman has taught me a lot about the Christian principles of love and acceptance. My SIL has accepted our traditions and one day, our prayer will be answered with her acceptance of Jesus Christ as her Savior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home